In 1905, the Florida legislature passed the Buckman Act, which consolidated the state's publicly supported higher education institutions. The legislative member Henry Holland Buckman who wrote the bill later became the eponymous character of Buckman Hall, one of the first buildings constructed on the new university campus. The Buckman Act organized the Florida State University system and established the Florida Control Board to manage the system. It also abolished six state-supported higher education institutions and merged the assets and academic programs of four of them to form the new "Florida State University." The four predecessor institutions that merged to form the new university include the University of Florida In Lake City (formerly Florida Agricultural College) Lake City, East Florida College in Gainesville, St. Petersburg Normal and Industrial School in St. Petersburg, and South Florida Military Academy in Barto.
The Buckman Act also merged universities and schools into three institutions divided by race and gender: white men at the University of Florida, white women’s colleges in Florida, and black students at the State Normal University and Women of Color.
The City of Gainesville is led by Mayor William Reuben Thomas (William Reuben Thomas) to run for the location of the new university. On July 6, 1905, the control committee selected Gainesville as the new university campus. Andrew Sledd, the president of the existing university in Lake City, Florida, was selected as the first president of the newly established Florida State University. The 1905-1906 academic year is a year of transformation. The newly established Florida State University was established in accordance with the law, but operated on the old University of Florida campus in Lake City, Florida, until the first buildings of the new Gainesville campus were completed. Architect William A. Edwards designed the Gothic style of the first formal campus architecture schools. On September 26, 1906, classes began on the new Gainesville campus, with 102 students enrolled.
In 1909, the name of the school was simplified from "University of Florida" to "University of Florida".
The crocodile was accidentally selected as the mascot of the school in 1911. It was ordered and sold by a local supplier to imprint the school pennant with the crocodile logo. The school’s colors (orange and blue) represent the heritage of the region and pay tribute to the heritage of the Scots and the Ulster Scottish Presbyterian Church, the original creators of Gainesville and Arakava County, most of which are North The settlers of Carolina, whose ancestors were mainly descendants of the Presbyterian Scottish descent who had come to the United States from the county and Antrim county in what has become Northern Ireland, while some came directly from the Scottish lowlands.